We believe in operating as an environmentally responsible model manufacturer for our community and industry. Spectrum has received the GSA Evergreen Award for our commitment to the pursuit of environmental sustainability through proactive waste prevention, material recovery and recycling, environmentally conscious product design, and procurement.
- Waste Prevention
- Recovered Materials
- Recycling Efforts
- Environmental Design & Procurement
- Model Facility & Environmental Stewardship
Spectrum is positively impacting waste prevention efforts by implementing several company-wide recycling initiatives, including recovering post-manufacturing materials and sourcing recycled and recyclable raw materials. Additionally, Spectrum promotes environmentally conscious practices in all corporate activities.
- Through the implementation of powder-coating technology as a replacement for solvent-based finishes, the combined air emissions of volatile organic compounds, VOCs, have been reduced by 90% since 1998.
- The use of powder-coating finishes has reduced the combined volume of cleanup solvent and hazardous waste by 50% since 1998. Much of the non-hazardous powder-coating residue is reclaimed and reused.
- The 1998 implementation of the powder-coating line has allowed us to eliminate the accumulation of a recyclable hazardous waste wash solvent that had averaged 7400 lbs. per year.
- By changing a finishing material to a thinner product that is Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Hazardous Air Pollution Standard (HAPS) compliant, resulted in a 35% reduction per gallon of VOCs.
- A change to HAPS-compliant varnish topcoat solutions has resulted in a 10% reduction per gallon of VOCs.
- Post manufacturing hardwood trimmings, particleboard, agriculture board, and corrugation waste material are ground into a reusable fiber material. This material is used in the agriculture industry as animal bedding. Spectrum’s primary recipient of the reusable fiber material, feeds the composted material through a digester system, which creates biogas energy. The anaerobic digesters provide a local power cooperative with a competitively priced renewable energy source in their service territory. The biogas reduces the cooperative’s reliance on traditional fossil fuels while providing support to its distribution network.
- Company-wide recycling efforts include the recovery of all company waste paper, aluminum cans, plastics, steel, metal, used printer cartridges, and computer components.
- Post-manufacturing steel scrap is recycled locally.
- Post-manufacturing solid oak scrap is reused in other products and made available to employees for personal use.
- Recycling efforts and the grinding of post-manufacturing waste has resulted in a 75% reduction in landfill waste since 1999.
- Corrugation and packing materials from projects completed by Spectrum employed installers are returned and reused.
- Spectrum has entered into an agreement with Comprehensive Recycling for pick-up and distribution of plastic material recovered from manufacturing processes. Various plastic materials, including polyvinyl chloride and high-density polyethylene, that were discarded as solid waste are now being collected, sorted, and identified for recycling.
Environmental Design & Procurement
Throughout our raw material specification and procurement process, Spectrum identifies materials and suppliers that allow the company to manufacture new and existing products from recycled or recyclable material. Examples of the items being purchased and designed through this program include:
- Adhesives/materials that emit low or no levels of toxins to better the air quality for customers.
- Particleboard core material used in Spectrum’s product line is manufactured from material that’s produced from 49% to 96% recovered materials.
- Medium Density Fiberboard, which is used in many Spectrum products, is produced from 15% to 30% recovered materials.
- Steel fasteners used in furniture and display assembly are 100% recyclable.
- Steel tubing and sheet steel used in furniture and display construction are 100% recyclable.
- Office chairs are composed of up to 25% recycled materials in structured plastic parts and up to 40% on non-structured parts.
- Plastic edge banding used on desks and carts is 100% recyclable.
- Glides and casters, when disassembled, are 100% recyclable.
- All chair components, with the exception of the foam padding, are recyclable.
- New product designs use components made from 100% recyclable plastic.
- Corrugated material used in packaging products for shipping is manufactured from 35% post-industrial material and is 100% recyclable.
- The liner within Spectrum’s corrugated material is produced from material that contains at least 50% post-consumer materials and includes an excess of 5% manufactured waste.
Model Facility & Environmental Stewardship
By incorporating equipment changes, procedure improvements and raw material alternatives, Spectrum is being a responsible steward of this planet. Our commitment to environmental protection drives operations to continually strive for greater efficiency with minimal environmental impact.
Spectrum is committed to positively impacting the environment and aligning with suppliers who do not harm the environment. We will continue to pursue improvements through proactive waste prevention, material recovery and recycling. We’ll remain focused on conscious product design and procurement. Environmental sustainability is a perpetual initiative that will benefit our community, industry and environment.